Browsing through Garfield comics always make me smile, partly because of the nice gestures Jim Davis draws to convey Garfield’s communication.
- Cheer with two arms in the air
- Two hands wringing together in joyous glee
- Garfield and Odie point Jon to his proper place in the universe; Jon makes a ‘Bah’ gesture
- Jon reinforces a self-reference with a thumb point
- Odie whistles innocently
- Silent triadic communication between Garfield, A Nightmarish Remote Control, and his friend the Garage Door Opener
And here is an old but nice story about a woman sueing a fast food restaurant that gave her kid a Garfield toy that appears to be giving the finger.
Funnily, a spokesperson for the restaurant defends as follows:
“It is Garfield’s paw, people should not read anymore into it. Garfield is a cartoon cat that doesn’t have fingers but paws.”
Well, I beg to differ…